As some of you know from my Instagram feed, I’ve been posting some stories with my “at home” workout routine and I want to share it with you here, with more detail in case you want to add something to your own workout routine or even want to start one.
Exercising has always been very important to me because is something that I enjoy and that helps me to unwind and relax, besides, I get restless if for some reason I can’t do any kind of exercise for a while. So during this quarantine when gyms are closed, I started my own at home routine (as many of us have been doing), and discovered that it actually is a lot of fun to include not only the exercises thar are good for certain areas of your body but also the ones that you enjoy the most. Are you ready then?
The first thing I do before any workout, is to warm-up. This part is super important and although it’s tempting to jump right into your workout, if you skip the warm-up, the whole routine turns less efficient for your body and you can get yourself injured, so here’s a super easy warm-up:
- Hip Circles, 8 reps outward, 8 reps inward. How to:
- Stand with your feet together.
- Raise one knee to 90 degrees. Circle the hip out making a big circle with your knee. Switch to your other leg
- Arm Circles, 8 reps forward, 8 reps backward. How to:
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, arms by your side.
- Slowly swing your arms forward in a circular motion
- Hip Lunge Stretch, 8 reps for each leg
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart. Step forward with your left leg so that you’re in a split-leg position.
- Step back with your right foot as far as you can and lower your hips until te front knee is bent to a 90 degree angle.
- Press your right hip forward to feel the stretch and remember to keep your back straight, hold and then switch legs.
- Calf Stretch. 8 reps for each leg
- Standing with the right foot in front and the left one in the back, bend your back knee slightly and lean your upper body forward as you support your hands on the bent thigh.
- Keep the right leg straight in front of you and push your right bottom out behind to stretch the front of the back thigh
- Switch legs.
After I’ve warmed up I switch to jumping rope. This is an excellent cardio exercise and can easily be done at home. If you don’t want to get tired soon, don’t swing the rope from your shoulders but from your wrists and don’t jump too high. So here’s a very simple routine:
- Jump rope at a regular bounce for 1 min
- Rest 1 min
- Jump rope skipping: hope over the rope with your right foot and the next time with your left foot. 1 min
- Rest 1 min
- Repeat for 20 min
From here you can start the workout routine you feel more comfortable with or the one that seems more fun to you as there are a lot of techniques you can try, from pilates and barre to crossfit. The equipment changes depending on what you want to achieve with your workout. However I recommend you to vary your workouts because it will not only bore you but it can keep you from getting the results you want, so experiment with different moves and different tools and keep things fun and enjoyable for you, and remember that is always best to check with your doctor if certain workout is good for you and your health.
Why don’t you send me your favorite workout routines that you’ve been doing during these days? Maybe we can compare notes!