Another year is about to end and what better way to celebrate the arrival of the New Year than in a magical place? But, how to choose the destination? Here the best places to spend New Year’s Eve.
In this magical season, cities are filled with twinkling lights that look like stars, shopping malls set up dreamy Christmas trees, and celebration and happiness are all around. Every city does something spectacular and unique, and there is no time more beautiful than the month of December. It is a great time to stay at home, enjoy moments with the family, and celebrate with your friends, but many of us take advantage of school and office vacations to get away and travel to a far-flung destination for New Year’s Eve.
There are many options for travel this time of year. One of the most classic destinations is obviously New York. There is nothing more exciting than doing the end of the year countdown in Times Square. Or, you can hop across Atlantic to the City of Light and fall in love while walking along the Avenue des Champs-Elysées with the Eiffel Tower on the horizon. Or, you might prefer an escape to a snowy winter wonderland like Aspen or Vail. These and many more are excellent destinations for this time of year, but if you are looking for something different and unique, there are many other places to choose from. Here is a list of some of the most impressive and charming destinations for the winter holidays.
If there’s a place that just takes your breath away, it’s Sedona. Its impressive landscapes look like they came out of some Hollywood set. But in addition to the beautiful red rock formations and deep blue sky, Sedona is a perfect place to reset. The city has some of the best spas and holistic centers in the United States and is considered one of the most spiritual places when it comes to metaphysical energies. What better way to start the year than with a mental and physical reset?
- Where to stay: L’Auberge de Sedona. This spa and resort is the ideal place to enjoy a stress-free vacation and totally disconnect from the outside world.
- What to do: Enjoy a full day of relaxation at the spa, then plan a guided tour of one of the nearby energy vortexes to recharge, meditate, or do yoga before the end of the year. If you have time the next day, organize a road trip to the Grand Canyon, or if you are a person that loves outdoor activities, climb or hike in the nearby rock formations.
Auckland, Nueva Zelanda
Visiting New Zealand is something we all must do once in our lives. So, if it’s not on your bucket list yet, add it now. One of the most dynamic cities in the country is Auckland, which has an impressive culinary offering, a diverse music scene, and some of the most beautiful beaches on the planet. Any time of the year is perfect for visiting this destination, but wouldn’t you love to be one of the first people to bid 2021 farewell? This is possible if you travel to Auckland, the first city to ring in the New Year.
- Where to stay: The Park Hyatt Auckland, located in the Wynyard Quarter, offers stunning views of Waitematā Harbor. The hotel’s decoration celebrates Maori culture.
- What to do: Like any cosmopolitan city, Auckland offers a wide range of dinners and parties to celebrate the end of the year. But, if you are looking for something different, you can camp under the stars and enjoy an experience full of music, art, and meditation at the Aum New Year’s Eve Festival. Another option is to book dinner on a yacht for a trip around the harbor. Then, you can enjoy the fireworks from the Sky Tower.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The beautiful capital of Argentina is the city of tango and soccer. Buenos Aires is a full of color and life. Each of its neighborhoods has a unique personality that lets us see the different facets the city. There are picturesque places like La Boca and trendier, chicer places like the Palermo area. La Reina de Plata is undoubtedly a unique and unforgettable place to celebrate the end of the year.
- Where to stay: Faena Buenos Aires is THE hotel to stay in im Buenos Aires. It also holds its Red Rose Ball on December 31 to say goodbye to the year.
- What to do: Despite being a cosmopolitan city, for Argentines, New Year’s is a night spent with the family. But, that doesn’t mean that there are no parties to celebrate the end of the year. Go for a walk at Puerto Madero, where locals and tourists enjoy the restaurants on the banks of the Río de la Plata, or head to the Palermo neighborhood to check out the coolest restaurants, bars, roofs, and night clubs in town.
A small city (only 88.25 km²) that will surprise you in a big way. The Danish capital is one of the most enigmatic destinations in Europe. Its streets are full of buildings that look like part of an impressionist painting, and it has some of the best restaurants and design in the world. It’s a surreal city, in which you will feel like you’re in a fairy tale. It’s one of most exciting and fun places to be on New Year’s.
- Where to stay: Axel Hotel Guldsmeden, an eco-friendly hotel that will become your home away from home. An oasis made from natural materials that’s perfect for resting.
- What to do: On the other 364 days of the year, the locals in this picturesque city are generally pretty quiet, but on New Year’s Eve they party to the fullest. Ring in the New Year om City Hall Square, which will be full of locals who’ve gathered to enjoy the fireworks and champagne.
Remember that you should always consult the restrictions, security measures, and health guidelines with regard to COVID-19 at any destination before traveling.